1. What led to creating this joint writing effort?
2. What surprised you the most about writing Camp Boyfriend?
3. Lauren is a strong, likeable heroine. What tips can you give writers on how to create strong heroines?
4. Without giving too much away, between Seth and Matt, how did you determine who Lauren would end up with?
5. How did you manage to keep the book funny and sweet while handling some of the heavier issues teenagers experience (like divorce)?
This is where having two authors really helps. Sometimes one of us would do a read and edit for the humorous tone, while during another pass, one of us would edit for character growth and conflict. It’s easier to ensure the tone is balanced when you’re individually reading for both elements. I’m a big fan of that great line in the movie,Steel Magnolias, “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.” We think that kind of emotion is very real and relatable. Even at Lauren’s most angsty, she’s got a sense of humor. Or, at very least, one of her friends will try to make her laugh. Being able to maintain a sense of humor even when life is dishing out hard lessons is a great coping mechanism.